Monday, May 6, 2013

Week 5 Update


After meeting with my mentor a few more times I have decided to change my topic. I realize it is late in the game to do so but I feel that my new topic directly affects me in a much more meaningful way. Since I teach a STAAR testing subject (Algebra 1), I have decided to research and investigate the success of acceleration classes. I have been teaching an acceleration class since January and am very interested to see how and why things work and do not work. I also plan on being extremely involved in the summer school acceleration programs for the students retesting in July. By comparing results, conducting interviews and teaching these classes, I feel that I can better understand why so many of our students are struggling to meet the passing standards for the new STAAR test.  Most of my research will take place during the summer with the help of administrators, summer school teachers and the testing coordinator.

While I still value the success of the ESL program, I find that this topic will help me better prepare my future students for standardized testing, including but not limited to our ESL population as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment