Thursday, May 2, 2013

WEEK 4 REFLECTION

I have realized that my topic may be too broad and my direction unclear. I will be narrowing my research to specifically this question:

How are ESL students being accommodated in general education classes?

This is an issue that directly affects me in the classroom as I have several non-english speaking students. Teaching Algebra 1/Geometry successfully to a student with such  a large language barrier has proven to be a challenge and I would like to learn more about what else I can do to keep these students motivated and encouraged.

My plan should not change much as I still plan to meet with adminstrators, ESL department heads, teachers, students and parents and evaluate scores and data. However, I now have a guiding question in mind which will now help me stay focused on the issue at hand.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great topic to research - and one that will prove very beneficial to other teachers. What different things are you going to be looking at and how to plan to help and improve the ESL students in the general education classroom? I am excited to follow your research?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get a chance to meet with your supervisor yet and what did they say?

    ReplyDelete