Thursday, April 25, 2013

Action Research Plan

Action Research Plan for ESL programs

 
SETTING THE FOUNDATION:
Limited English speaking students are increase by the year. At the same time, their success in general education is rapidly decreasing. By meeting and speaking with the head of the ESL department and administration, it has become clear that while many programs are offered, there is room for improvement in this area.
 
ANALYZING DATA:
Demographics, reports and benchmark testing scores will be analyzed not just from year to year but also within grading terms in the same school year. My main focus will be the 2013-2014 academic year.
 
DEVOLOPING DEEPER UNDERSTANDING:
In addition to pulling reports, I plan to meet and interview several key stakeholders in the ESL department in order to gain a better understand of the issue at hand. I will conduct interviews with the head of ESL for our campus, the administrator above ESl, general education teachers, ESL teachers and several ESL students. This will allow me to understand this issue through many different perspectives. I am hoping to find many similarities but also several differences between the visions of various people.
 
ENGAGE IN SELF-REFLECTION:
Through self-reflection both prior to and after my research I hope to gain a better understand as to things and techniques that I can do differently to better accommodate the ESL students that I have in my classroom. In the long run, as an administrator, I will be better prepared to work with other teachers who may have the same issues or concerns about this matter. I will ask myself questions such as: How am I capable of changing and improving the programs the school offers and how can I participate more? Am I being fair in my assessment and conclusions of this particular group? Do I and the school have the resources and skills needed to improve and make progress when working with these students?
 
EXPLORING PROGRAMMATIC PATTERNS:
After speaking with my site supervisor and the head of ESL department, I have a better idea of when and what needs to be done to have successful action research. Assistance from these people along with other teachers and staff members will be most beneficial to me. I have a better understanding of what skills and resources are available to me and to the ESL program.
 
 
 
DETERMINING DIRECTION:
At this point my goal and intentions for my topics are clear to myself and my site supervisor. I have addressed the skills and resources to be successful and established my approach, primarily through data reports and interviews. My timeline is as realistic as possible considering the summer break and testing season and I plan to remain constant throughout the year with my investigation. Based on results, I know I will need to flexible in altering my plan as a result of periodic evaluation.
 
TAKING ACTION FOR SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT:
During and at the conclusion of my research I will collaborate with the testing coordinator and ESL head to construct a comprehensive report of my findings. I will propose possible solutions and encourage the progress of the program based on my results. I will submit this to my supervisor along with the site based committee and will include a proposal for action to improve the academic success of students who struggle with the language barrier in general education classrooms.
 
SUSTAIN IMPROVEMENT:
My results will be shared with my own math department as I find it a necessity to reach out to all students during instruction. Ideally I would like my research to be beneficially across all subject areas and would encourage all teachers to use the techniques and accommodations put in place by the ESL department. It is imperative to not let these students fall behind because they have limited English skills. We need to learn how to teach our material while at the same time encourage those who do not understand to continue to progress. It is also important that I keep up with these results from year to year to ensure that this population of students is not being left behind.

 

1 comment:

  1. Voula,
    With the changing demeographics our schools face it is imperative that the ESL student population is not overlooked. Your project seems to be on the right track. You stated that you and your site supervisor are clear on the direction your project will takae and that's what matters. Since I'm not too clear on the direction, will you be looking at curriculum, insstructional strategies, student work samples? I look forward to watching your progress and the final results. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete